International development organisation The Fred Hollows Foundation screened more than 4,902,490 people for eye conditions in 2017 according to new figures released.
More than 310,000 people in China received eye operations and treatments, which is a 14.8% increase compared to 2016.
Most surgeries and treatments were to restore sight for cataract patients with other interventions carried out for refractive error and diabetic retinopathy, a complication of diabetes.
The Fred Hollows Foundation is proud to continue its investment in people and last year trained 3,587 people in eye health, including 57 surgeons.
Our founder Professor Fred Hollows strongly believed in teaching the teachers first so they can continue the vital work of restoring sight to people, and ensuring our next generation also get the eye care they need.
The Fred Hollows Foundation is also supporting community education around eye health and last year trained 3,587 surgeons, clinic support staff, community health workers and teachers in China.
As well, The Foundation supported face-to-face eye health education sessions for 86,071 school children and community members.
In 2017 The Fred Hollows Foundation achieved globally:
- Screened more than 4,902,490 people for eye conditions
- Performed 1,106,654 eye operation and treatments;
- More 18.4 million people treated with antibiotics for trachoma;
- 102,356 people trained including specialist eye surgeons and nurses, community health workers and teachers;
- 66 medical facilities built, renovated or equipped;
- $20.98 million of medical equipment and infrastructure provided;
- More than 2.5 million school children and community members educated in eye health
In China, we have achieved the following:
- Performed 310,000 eye operations and treatments including cataract operations and diabetic retinopathy treatments;
- Trained 3,587 surgeons, clinic support staff, community health workers and teachers;
- 86,071 school children and community members educated in eye health
Click here to download our 2017 Global Annual Report, and support our work here.